A typical Italian dish for which the best rice is Carnaroli. Roasting rice in a little oil on high heat is as important as adding salt and pepper to the freshly roasted rice. The final touch must be done with butter and freshly grated cheese.
Ingredients (for 4 persons)
- 280 gr of Carnaroli or Arborio rice
- 1 liter of vegetable broth
- 500 gr of tomato sauce
- 1 celery rib, a carrot and an onion
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- a knob of butter
- 60 gr of grated parmesan
- 8 teaspoons of basil pesto
- grated lemon zest
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the tomato sauce by pouring two tablespoons of oil, the vegetables and the tomato sauce in a saucepan. Cook over low heat for an hour or more. Season with salt and discard the vegetables.
- In a cast iron pot, heat a spoonful of oil and add the rice. Toast the rice for a couple of minutes, add salt and pepper. Then add a ladle of broth and let it evaporate. Continue adding the broth a little at a time until half cooked (about 10 minutes).
- Add the tomato sauce and cook until done.
- Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in the butter and parmesan.
- Let it rest for a couple of minutes.
- Put a teaspoon of pesto on the bottom of a plate and fill with a ladle of risotto.
- Decorate with some basil leaves on top and a grated lemon zest.