Sounds like heaven… Lemon Pavlova. I make this with a jar of lemon curd but home-made is even more delicious. A perfectly light and refreshing end to a fantastic meal.
- 6 egg whites
- 375 grams caster sugar
- 2½ teaspoons cornflour
- 2 unwaxed lemons
- 50 grams flaked almonds
- 300 millilitres double cream
- 325 grams jar lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking parchment. Beat the egg whites until satiny peaks form, then beat in the sugar a spoonful at a time until the meringue is stiff and shiny.
- Sprinkle the cornflour over the meringue, then grate in the zest of 1 lemon and add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Gently fold until everything is thoroughly mixed in. Mound onto the lined baking tray in a fat circle approximately 23cm in diameter, smoothing the sides and the top with a knife or spatula.
- Place in the oven, then immediately turn the temperature down to 150°C, and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool, but don’t leave it anywhere cold as this will make it crack too quickly. If you think your kitchen is too cool, then leave the pavlova inside the oven with the door completely open. When you’re ready to eat, turn the pavlova onto a large flat plate. This is so the tender marshmallow belly of the pav melds with the soft topping.
- Toast the flaked almonds, by frying them in a dry pan over a medium to high heat until they have started to colour. Shake the pan at regular intervals and don’t let them burn. This doesn’t take more than a minute or so. When they’re done, remove to a cold plate so that they don’t carry on cooking.
- Whip the cream until thick and airy but still with a soft voluptuousness about it, and set it aside for a moment.
- Put the lemon curd into a bowl and beat it with a wooden spoon or spatula to loosen it a little. Add some lemon zest and a spritz of juice if it’s too sweet.
- Spread the lemon curd on top of the meringue base. Now top with the whipped cream, peaking it rather as if it were a meringue topping. Sprinkle with the zest of the remaining lemon followed by the flaked almonds, and serve.