So, I am following the vegan craze and decided to try some veggie dishes. Here’s the first and simple recipe that I introduced to my family and it was a hit. Bring on the new food styles.
- 1.2 kilos mixed vegetables, such as carrots, parsnips, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ginger, about 2.5 cm in length, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 400 ml coconut milk
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the vegetables into bite-size cubes.
- Heat the oil in a thick-bottomed pot with a lid. Add the onions and salt, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Add the ginger, cloves, and cinnamon, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetables, and pour in two thirds of the coconut milk and 120 ml water.
- Stir, cover, bring to a low simmer, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring every now and then, until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the remaining coconut milk, cook for another minute or two, sprinkle with black pepper, and serve, with freshly steamed basmati rice.