Nothing says summer in France like a salad Niçoise and a glass of Rosé. This beautifully constructed salad, featuring the best of the farmers’ market, is the ultimate in French recipes.
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (from approximately 2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- optional: fresh herbs like basil, oregano, thyme, tarragon, parsley
Salad (serves 4)
- 2 heads Boston or Bibb lettuce
- 1 pound green beans, French if possible
- 8 anchovies packed in olive oil
- 8 ounces canned albacore tuna in olive oil
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup black Niçoise olives
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, halved
- Place minced shallot, lemon juice and Dijon mustard in a bowl and whisk.
- Slowly add the olive oil to the mixture until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Trim the ends of the green beans.
- Add the beans to the boiling water and cook for approximately 3 minutes, until tender but still crisp. Drain the beans and place them in a bowl filled with ice water to stop the cooking and keep them crisp.
- Arrange the washed greens in a large bowl and dress with the vinaigrette.
- Place each additional ingredient on top and drizzle the remainder of the vinaigrette. Salt and pepper as needed.
- Optional: you can always add some potatoes to give it a little more texture.