A hearty pasta featuring peppery arugula, fresh tomatoes and pungent red onion.
- 12 oz. small rigatoni or other short pasta
- ½ lb. sliced bacon (about 9 slices)
- 1 medium Red Onion
- 1 pt. Grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch arugula, thick stems discarded
- Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a paper towel–lined plate. Break into pieces.
- Discard all but 2 Tbsp of the drippings and return the skillet to medium heat. Add the onion, season with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and arugula and cook, tossing, for 1 minute.
- Toss the onion-tomato mixture with the pasta and fold in the bacon. Serve hot or at room temperature.