Here’s a different kind of salad dish. In Sicily, this salad is traditionally prepared with wild chicory, a slightly peppery, tender-leafed green. You can substitute with arugula if you can’t find wild chicory.
- 3 blood or navel oranges
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches trimmed arugula
- 2 cored, halved, trimmed medium fennel bulbs
- ¼ cup black olives
- Trim off and discard peel and all of the white pith from oranges, then slice crosswise into thin rounds and set aside.
- Mix together extra-virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar in a large salad bowl, then season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Tear arugula into large pieces and arrange in the salad bowl.
- Slice fennel bulbs into long strips.
- Toss salad just before serving, adjust seasonings, then arrange orange slices and black olives on top.