This is a fun breakfast dish for adults and kids to make on the weekend when you have a little more time. It’s filling and it’s healthy. For an extra special touch use a heart-shaped cutout.
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices whole-grain bread
- 4 large eggs
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven on grill cycle.
- Place the tomatoes cut-side up on a tray covered with baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to plate and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Brush 1 side of each slice of bread with butter. Using a round cookie cutter or drinking glass, cut a hole in the center of each slice, reserving the cutout pieces.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Place half the bread and cutouts, buttered side up, in the frying pan and cook until the undersides are crisp, 1 to 2 minutes; flip.
- Crack 1 egg into each hole. Dividing evenly, season with salt and pepper and cook, covered, to desired doneness, 2 to 3 minutes for runny yolks.
- Transfer to plates and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Repeat with the remaining 2 tsp oil, bread and eggs. Serve with the tomatoes and cutouts.