A little lemon zest goes a long way in this lush risotto, brightening up the dish and playing off the briny shrimp and aromatic basil.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Arborio rice
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan (1 oz)
- 1 lemon
- 1 pound medium peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- Heat 2 tbsps of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the wine and simmer until absorbed, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the broth and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and creamy and the broth has been absorbed, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the Romano.
- Meanwhile, using a vegetable peeler, remove 3 strips of zest from the lemon, then thinly slice the strips. Squeeze the juice from the lemon (you should get 3 tbsp) into a small bowl.
- Heat the remaining tbsp of oil in a second large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the shrimp with 1/2 tsp salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn the shrimp, add the lemon zest and juice to the skillet and cook until the shrimp are opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Fold the shrimp mixture into the risotto along with the basil.