In full swing with Expat daughter’s Birthday Party preparations I decided to share a few of my ideas with you. I’ll start today with the basics: the cake! This lemon yoghurt cake tastes delicious, is moist and mixes with any topping or filling, from fruit to chocolate! Here goes:
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp candied lemon peel, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325 degree Fahrenheit. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Line with waxed paper. Butter the paper. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl. Beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time, until just blended after each addition. With mixer at low speed, gradually beat in the dry ingredients, alternating with the yogurt. With mixer at high speed, beat the egg whites in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Use a large rubber spatula them into the batter. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes or the cake shrinks from the pan sides and inserted toothpicks into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a rack. Carefully remove the paper and let cool completely.
- How to make Lemon Frosting: Mix the icing sugar and butter in a medium bowl. Beat in enough of the lemon juice to make a thick, spreadable frosting. Spread the top and sides of the cake with the frosting. Decorate with the lemon.