A vibrant fresh dish that is great for “aperitivo” accompanying your Campari spritzes or as an after-school kids’ snack. Choose dark red tomatoes or multicoloured, perfectly ripe cherry tomatoes that appear in the summer months and jazz it up with green basil. It never fails!
- 1 x 375gr puff pastry
- 3-4 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 125gr fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Unroll the pastry sheet onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Lightly run a knife around the edge of the pastry creating a border around the pastry.
- Arrange the tomatoes within the line/pastry border.
- Brush the pastry edge with the whisked egg.
- Drizzle the tart with olive oil and sprinkle generously with sea salt.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes and until the pastry is puffed and golden.
- Top with freshly torn mozzarella (or buratta or bocconcini) and the fresh basil leaves.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.