Can you smell the autumn? Nothing beats the fragrance of brown butter, cinnamon and baked apple. Well, maybe chocolate cake but that’s for another day.
- 1 cup self raising flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger, ground
- ½ tsp nutmeg, ground
- ½ tsp cardamom, ground
- 140gr unsalted butter, browned
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 eggs
- 1 large apple, grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the milk solids start to turn brown on the bottom of the pan and smells nutty. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, almond meal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cardamom.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla bean.
- Add the cooled brown butter and stir until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until combined.
- Fold in the apple.
- Spoon the batter into lined muffin cases and bake for 15 minutes or until golden and cooked.