A terribly British, fast and simple summer salad recipe. Where’s the Pimms?
- 2 English cucumbers (2 pounds)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried dill or 2 tablespoons fresh
- Slice the cucumber lengthwise, remove the seeds, and slice thinly.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- In a colander, toss the cucumber and onion with the salt and let it sit and drain for 20 minutes.
- Press the liquid out of the vegetables and rinse well with cold water.
- In a medium bowl combine the vinegar and sugar and stir well.
- Add the cucumber mixture and toss to coat.
- Stir in the dill.