Pancake day requires a recipe of Crêpes Suzette! The pancakes are crêpes Suzette prepared with a caramel flavored orange sauce. Made simple, this recipe will delight the whole family.
For the crêpes
- 110gr plain flour, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 200m milk mixed with 75ml water
- 50gr butter
- 1 medium orange, grated zest only
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and break the eggs into it. Then begin whisking the eggs.
- Gradually add small quantities of the milk and water mixture, still whisking (don’t worry about any lumps as they will eventually disappear as you whisk).
- Melt butter in a pan. Spoon 2 tbsp of it into the batter and whisk it in, then pour the rest into a bowl and use it to lubricate the pan, using a brush or piece of kitchen paper to smear it round before you make each pancake.
- Stir the orange zest and caster sugar into the batter.
- Heat the pan really hot, then turn the heat down to medium and as soon as the batter hits the hot pan, tip it around from side to side to get the base evenly coated with batter. It should take only half a minute or so to cook; you can lift the edge with a palette knife to see if it’s tinged gold as it should be.
- Flip the pancake over with a pan slice or palette knife – the other side will need a few seconds only – then simply slide it out of the pan onto a plate. If the pancakes look a little bit ragged in the pan, no matter because they are going to be folded anyway. You should end up with 15-16 crêpes.
For the sauce
- 120g sugar
- 1 lemon
- 2 oranges
- 125g butter
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- Press and filter the citrus juice. Cut the butter into cubes.
- Sprinkle the bottom of a pan with the sugar. Grind peel of an orange. Heat gently without stirring and when the caramel begins to form, add the squeezed juice.
- Boil down slowly until obtaining a soft golden caramel.
- Add the butter and stir in the caramel.
- Flame with the Grand Marnier and reduce.
- Fold the crepes in the juice. Arrange the pancakes with the juice on a plate and repeat the process with the other pancakes. Pour all the remaining juice on top of the crepes and enjoy!