This typical Spanish recipe was given to me by an English friend who calls Spain her home. Nothing beats a properly cooked tortilla. Except maybe Jamon Iberico de Bellota! 😉
- 5 big potatoes
- 1 Spanish onion
- 4 large or 5 small eggs
- Olive Oil
- Peel and slice the potatoes into fairly thin “rounds”
- Do the same with the onion.
- In a non stick frying pan pour a generous amount of olive oil (spanish is better 😉
- Heat gently and add the potatoes and onions. The idea is to kind of “boil” the potatoes in the oil rather than fry them violently.
- Meanwhile lightly beat the eggs.
- When the potatoes and onions are nice and soft and a little brown (if preferred), then drain them and add straight into the bowl with the eggs. Mix quickly and return to the pan. There should be enough olive oil left in the pan to cook it.
- When the eggs have set on one side and the mixture feels firm you can then flip the tortilla over onto a plate and return to the frying pan to cook the other side.
- Eat warm or cold with crusty baguette and a glass of tinto!
You can also add spinach, ham, peppers or whatever takes your fancy.