My Neapolitan mother-in-law starts cooking at 6am in the morning. Admittedly her ragu is unbeatable. I have a quick version of ragu but it does allow me to stay in bed a little longer.
- 1/2 onion
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 small carrot, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound minced beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Finely chop the onion, celery, carrot, garlic and rosemary.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped vegetables and cook, stirring, until softened and golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the beef, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, milk, 1 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.